[oe] [2011,03 maint] Confused about xserver-xorg + touchscreen

Ed Nelson enelson1000 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 18:48:03 UTC 2011

I am trying to build a modified minimal-gpe-image to use xserver-xorg
and use xinput-calibrator but for some reason it keeps building tslib.
Consequently I have to modify xorg.conf so the touchscreen driver uses
tslib and not evdev for the touchsceen to work.  This is OK but I
thought that the new way to do the touchscreen was to use xinput and to
calibrate the touchscreen was to use xinput-calibrator.  I tried to find
a image recipe that used xinput-calbrator but didn't find one.

Is it better to use xserver-xorg + xinput-calibrator  or use
xserver-xorg + tslib + modify xorg.conf?
Am I missing something in the minimal-gpe-image recipe?
Shouldn't I see something for xinput-calibrator inside Xsessions?

Below is my minimal-gpe-image recipe
==================================
#Angstrom minimal gpe image
# This image provides a barebone dm and 'desktop'
# Very angstrom and opkg centric

ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL += " \
                           "

XSERVER = "xserver-xorg \
            xf86-input-evdev \
            xf86-input-mouse \
            xf86-video-fbdev \
            xf86-input-keyboard"

SPLASH ?= ' ${@base_contains("MACHINE_FEATURES", "screen",
"psplash-angstrom", "",d)}'

export IMAGE_BASENAME = "minimal-gpe-image"

PR = "r2"

DEPENDS = "task-boot"

IMAGE_INSTALL = "\
     ${XSERVER} \
     task-boot \
     gpe-dm gpe-session-scripts gpe-login \
     matchbox-wm \
     gpe-terminal \
     angstrom-feed-configs \
     xinput-calibrator \
     nano \
     python \
     ${SPLASH} \
     ${ANGSTROM_EXTRA_INSTALL} \
     "

#zap root password for release images
ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += '${@base_conditional("DISTRO_TYPE",
"release", "zap_root_password; ", "",d)}'

inherit image

This is my Xinit.d

root at sbc9261:~# ls /etc/X11/Xinit.d/
01xrandr         40xmodmap        60xXDefaults     99gpe-login
11zaurus         50setdpi         89xTs_Calibrate
12keymap         55xScreenSaver   98keymap-fixup

This is my Xsessions.d

root at sbc9261:~# ls /etc/X11/Xsession.d/
50autolock        69ipaq-sleep      98standard-apps
60xXDefaults      89xdgautostart    99xWindowManager
root at sbc9261:~#

Thanks
Ed