[oe] libnl vs. libnl2 madness

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Thu Feb 3 12:42:44 UTC 2011

Hello.

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 11:12, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 10:54:08AM +0100, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 February 2011 10:32:53 Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > At that time there was just one recipe depending on libnl2 and that was FSO2.
> > I think one month ago JaMa has build the first SHR image without libnl(1),
>
> yes after couple of changes
> http://git.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/log/?h=org.openembedded.dev&qt=grep&q=libnl
>
> > until then it was impossible because of some important parts. I'm not sure but
> > i think the main blocker was bluez4 (Can't check now).
>
> Yes older bluez4 with nl plugin (which was removed later).

Good, so bluez is of the table.

> and:
> http://gitorious.org/~jama/angstrom/jama-shr-experimental/commit/70b13d30b335b8fd67116d3bc0834382a77bc319
> 81      ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-bmon = "bmon depends on libnl we want libnl2"
> 82	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-crda = "crda depends on libnl we want libnl2"

No idea about these two.

> 83	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-hostap-daemon = "hostap-daemon depends on libnl we want libnl2"

Should be fine to build with CONFIG_LIBNL20 set. Its the same codebase as
wpa-supplicant.

> 84	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-ibrdtn = "ibrdtn depends on libnl we want libnl2"

Maybe I should get a stab at this as I'm the main user of it in OE. :)

> 85	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-iw = "iw depends on libnl we want libnl2"

Need to check latest version for libnl2 support. Should not be to hard to change
it.

> 86	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-lowpan-tools = "lowpan-tools depends on libnl we want libnl2"

When I'm going to poke ibrdtn I could take a look here as well. Maybe Dmitry .

> 87	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-networkmanager = "networkmanager depends on libnl we want libnl2"
> 88	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-networkmanager-openvpn = "networkmanager-openvpn depends on libnl we want libnl2"

Those two have a pretty big code base and I'm not going to dive into it (again).

> 89	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-pstree = "pstree depends on libnl we want libnl2"
> 90	ANGSTROM_BLACKLIST_pn-rfkill = "rfkill depends on libnl we want libnl2"

Need to check latest version for libnl2 support. Should not be to hard to change
it.

> I didn't check if those can be built with libnl2 or if they work properly with libnl2.

As you can see I would be willing to work on some of these. Personally I would
aim for getting the recipes over to libnl2 and the kill libnl1 for good in OE.

> But be aware that we had enough issues in runtime (build passes ok) caused by libnl1 built in same sysroot
> as libnl2 (that's why I had to blacklist libnl2 in SHR).

Thats one more reason to get rid of the old version. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt