[oe] profiling howto?

Holger Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Thu Feb 3 13:10:52 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 02:06 PM, Steffen Sledz wrote:

>> I am not sure why you want to use gprof but anyway...
>>
>> a) do not use gprof on glibc...
>
> I'm not interested in using gprof on glibc. I'm interested in profiling some other libs/apps only.
>
> But the suggested method to prepare just some packages for profiling does not work jet (see other subthread).

1.) use oprofile... install the -dbg packages on the device... install
oprofile itself... start sampling with opcontrol --start -p library -c 7 or
such.. then stop... use opreport -l to look...

2.) if you want to have backtraces... recompile with -fno-omit-frame-pointer
as I have mentioned...

3.) if you do not want sampling based profiling, yes use gprof... enable it
for the libs and apps you want... using bitbake -e you should be able to
figure out how bitbake selects the variables...