[oe] [RFC] postgresql updates

Tom Rini tom_rini at mentor.com
Thu Feb 10 16:17:05 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I'll post patches later but I'd like to do some upgrading / fixing to
postgresql.

First, from
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
postgresql 8.1.x (our default) is EOL.  8.2.x will EOL this year and
8.4.x has some good life left to it.

Second, after reading the various release notes (starting on
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release-8-2-20.html), I would
like to:

- Drop 8.1.x
- Drop 8.2.x (since it's D_P = -1 and unpinned)
- Make 8.4.7 the default which means
   - Un-pin SHR (8.4.4 to 8.4.7 is a safe and no changes needed upgrade,
see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release-8-4-7.html)

What got me going here is that 8.1.x and 8.2.x both use ld directly for
linking rather than CCLD which causes problems on mips64 which means
qt4*demo-image was failing (well, outside of SHR ;)).

But the question is, do we want to in any way try and prompt the user to
get them to upgrade their 8.1.x DB?  Or just assume anyone using
postgresql will be smart enough to figure out they need to dump and
restore (if I read things right).

--
Tom Rini
Mentor Graphics Corporation