[oe] openembedded with a prebuilt external toolchain

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Thu Feb 10 20:24:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to use openembedded with an external prebuilt toolchain. The
docs at http://docs.openembedded.org/usermanual/usermanual.html mark
this as TODO so maybe we can "do" that in this email chain. :)

Marvell provides a *.tar.gz with gcc and C libraries, which I've
uncompressed somewhere in my home directory. My goal is to build a root
filesystem with some assortment of packages, but at this point I'm just
trying "bitbake nano" which is the very first example in the Getting
Started. That seems like a logical start to board bring-up.

I'm assuming that I need to add some lines to build/conf/local.conf that
tell OE to make no attempt at building its own compiler or C library (it
can't anyway, it doesn't know my chip!) and to call my pre-built one
instead. It looks like I'd want to add a few lines about TOOLCHAIN_*,
but that uses a recipe for external toolchain, which assumes that it has
some meta toolchain, and I'm floundering and getting nowhere. Couldn't
find any of these magic variables documented in the usermanual so I've
been digging through recipes to learn any of this.

Is it possible to add a few lines that tell OE the path and filename of
my compiler? Or is it more complicated than that?

-joey