[oe] openembedded with a prebuilt external toolchain

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Thu Feb 10 23:22:51 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 3:58 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> We talked about this a little on IRC and I provided the example of how
> to use the CodeSourcery recipes that exist today.  The marvell
> toolchain however will need it's own special love.

Yes! Much appreciated!

> Now what you'll want to do is make an external-toolchain-marvell.bb
> and set TOOLCHAIN_BRAND to "marvell" and tweak TOOLCHAIN_VENDOR such
> that we go from what OE normally says TARGET_SYS is to what your tools
> actually say it is.  Then it's a matter of tweaking the contents of
> external-toolchain-marvell.bb to copy the right things out of the
> marvell install and into where OE wants them.  In this regard, the
> -csl recipe may be more instructive than the -generic recipe as the
> -generic recipe (along with external-toolchain.bb) are targeted at
> toolchains exported by OE and thus require little mangling to work.

Both the -csl.bb and -generic.bb copy a bunch of stuff to STAGING_DIR in
do_stage(). Of course in the long-run I need for the recipe to copy C
libraries, but for now I should be able to leave the body blank. At
least it'll use my compiler and run to completion. Right?

That's what I did and it seems to be ok. The "bitbake nano" example
failed, looks like it wasn't linking ncurses. Another attempt with
"bitbake busybox" worked and I saw some packages in the output folder.
Looks good so far!

-joey