[oe] bitbake exit codes? (testing-release-2011.03 build results)

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 13:25:53 UTC 2011

2011/2/14 Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch.de>:
> Am 14.02.2011 09:11, schrieb Frans Meulenbroeks:
>> 2011/2/14 Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch.de>:
>>> While setting up Jenkins/Hudson jobs for the testing-release-2011.03 branch based on the testscript.sh from the contrib subdir i hit the following problem.
>>>
>>> bitbake (1.10.2) finally reports "NOTE: Task Summary: Attempted 1217 tasks of which 0 didn't need to be rerun and 0 failed.". So it seems that the build was successful. But bitbake did not return 0 but 1. So Jenkins marks the build as failed.
>>>
>>> I guess the exit code 1 is coming from some QA Issues. How do we handle that if if my guess is right?
>>>
>>> Do we mark such a build run as successful in our test matrix?
>>>
>>> Has bitbake a defined set of exit codes that we can evaluate in the testscript.sh?
>>>
>>> Steffen
>>
>> There have been a few threads on this in the past.
>> One of the ways (and maybe the best one) to get around this is to fix
>> the QA errors.
>
> Of course. You are right.
>
> But for the moment the question is: "Do we mark such a builds as successful in our test matrix or not?"
>
> Steffen

Personally I'm inclined to say no. Marking them as unsuccessful
increases the chance of getting them fixed.
Then again others may think differently & I don't know exactly how
many QA errors we're talking about.
(I seem to recall that my console-image build had four, for cups I saw
a patch, binutils is being looked at or maybe already resolved by
Khem, no idea about the other two).

Best regards, Frans.