[oe] openembedded with a prebuilt external toolchain

Joey Oravec joravec at drewtech.com
Mon Feb 14 20:14:40 UTC 2011

On 2/10/2011 6:35 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
>> Both the -csl.bb and -generic.bb copy a bunch of stuff to STAGING_DIR in
>> do_stage(). Of course in the long-run I need for the recipe to copy C
>> libraries, but for now I should be able to leave the body blank. At
>> least it'll use my compiler and run to completion. Right?
>
> Well, as you saw, it fails in some cases.  This is because, yeah,
> we're telling the toolchain stuff lives ...here now, and it doesn't.

Thanks for the additional help on chat! This followup is to share my
results with the mailing list.

Regarding my "bitbake nano" failure, that was a symptom of a sysroot
issue. An external cross compiler has some default sysroot where it
looks for libraries. By default it looks like OE passes nothing to
change this. As a result do_configure() didn't look for libraries in
staging dir, decided that ncurses didn't exist, and the build failed.
One solution is to add:

TOOLCHAIN_OPTIONS = " --sysroot=${STAGING_DIR_TARGET}"

to your build/conf/local.conf and make sure your compiler's default
sysroot (libc, etc) gets copied into the staging dir. That way you can
call *-gcc from somewhere in your path but it'll look for everything
under OE's staging directory.

-joey