[oe] is there a virtual/sysvinit to prevent hard-depends on sysvinit?

Andreas Oberritter obi at opendreambox.org
Fri Feb 18 10:12:48 UTC 2011

On 02/17/2011 09:15 PM, AJ ONeal wrote:
> Is there a virtual/sysvinit?

I don't think so, because IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER is probably sufficient for
most other cases. In case it's going to be added, I think it should be
called virtual/init.

Fwiw, I'm currently evaluating upstart, too. I'm using COMBINED_FEATURES
to conditionally enable upstart, because it requires some minimum kernel
version, e.g.:

IMAGE_INIT_MANAGER ?= "${@base_contains('COMBINED_FEATURES', 'upstart',
'upstart upstart-sysvcompat util-linux-ng-blkid', 'sysvinit
sysvinit-pidof', d)}"

I've created a short-lived branch to show how I currently intend to
handle the coexistence of sysvinit and upstart in recipes (last 3 commits):

http://git.opendreambox.org/?p=obi/openembedded.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/upstart

How do you handle that?

> task-proper-tools depends on sysvinit, which conflicts with upstart.
>
> How could I specify that it should depend on a virtual package?

virtual/init could be provided by busybox, so if task-proper-tools
depended on that, it wouldn't achive its purpose.

You could use "${@base_contains('COMBINED_FEATURES', 'upstart',
'upstart', 'sysvinit', d)}", which isn't the best solution either,
considering that other init replacements like systemd might get added in
the future.

Regards,
Andreas