[oe] OE TSC Meeting 2011/02/21 Minutes

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 08:20:42 UTC 2011

Dear Richard,

Thanks for the minutes.

Below are a few suggestions/questions.

2011/2/23 Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>:
[...]
> It was agreed to use a pull model for oecore with RP taking the top of
> the pull tree role. For meta-oe, there was a lot of argument for
> starting to use a pull model there too in an effort to also improve
> quality, but, the TSC recognised this might be the cause of friction. It
> was agreed to trial this for meta-oe whilst it becomes established and
> to actively solicit member feedback on how this works out. It should be
> stressed this is just a trial at this point.

This raises a few questions and remarks:
- I think we should try to come to some guidelines/suggestions/help on
how to handle this from a developer viewpoint.
This might e.g. be some additions to the git phrasebook, but I can
imagine we also want to do (or refer to) some starter docs on how to
set up a git, and some tips and tricks on how to work with it in a way
that is convenient for the puller. E.g. "how to be a good oe-core git
provider".
(btw I am quite a n00b when it comes to git, so I am definitely not
volunteering to write this section as i do not feel capable to do so).
- What about reviews? OE now has an ack/nack review policy (at least
for toolchain related parts)
- who will take the pull master role for meta-oe
- what about patches submitted to the mailing list? Do we expect the
pull master to pick them up?  Or will the yocto people deal with
mailed patches (for oe-core that is)?
Or another scenario?

[...]

Best regards, Frnas.