[oe] linux-libc-headers version (reloaded)

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch.de
Thu Feb 24 13:30:58 UTC 2011

On 02/18/2011 04:30 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch.de> wrote:

>>> If i'm right this goes to the --enable-kernel=VERSION configure option of glibc just to optimize the library.
>>>
>>> "the configure option --enable-kernel=X.Y.Z allows to strip out compatibility for kernel versions before X.Y.Z."
>>>
>>> Imho it is not legitimately to follow that glibc has compatibility code for all kernels greater or equal X.Y.Z.
>>>
>>> Another question is the handling in other libc implementations.
>>>
>>> And finally there are a lot of programs using userland kernel headers directly.
>>
>> Ping!
>>
>> If i interpret responses from Tom and Phil right they agree with me (or at least do not disagree). ;-)
>>
>> But i miss reactions from the distro maintainers (especially Ångström).
>>

> I think we should make sure that linux version chosen for a build is
> equal or newer than linux-libc-headers for that build. Another option
> is that linux-libc-headers are driven out
> of selected virtual/kernel too but this may be a bit clunky since it
> would mean that
> every machine will have them different and we share sysroots e.g. two
> armv5te may use
> same sysroot

I like to force the discussion/work/decision on this problem because we're one of the mourners (we're forced to use 2.6.24 kernel by out hardware vendor :( ).

I also see the multi-machine problem (the shared sysroot at build time and the feed problem too).

So what options do we (our Ångström) have?

(1) Do not support kernel older than 2.6.31 (which is the current LINUX_LIBC_HEADERS_VERSION).

(2) Set LINUX_LIBC_HEADERS_VERSION to 2.6.16 (which is the current OLDEST_KERNEL).

(3) Support machine specific distro incarnations (incl. special feeds).

May be some more. Option (1) would be really bad for us. I believe (2) would be bad for a lot of users because of a potential loss of functionality.

Steffen

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany