[oe] H1940 Boot Issues -> Executable Build Problems?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 20:23:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Russell Morris
<openembedded at rkmorris.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Let me try to answer a few questions in one email ... :-). First of all, I tried the patch - unfortunately no joy. It does the same thing as earlier builds - let me try to explain, which will hopefully also answer the questions below.
>

> I applied the patch, and rebuilt from scratch with the minimal distro (deleted the TMPDIR completely before building). I built the helloworld-image, to get a statically linked executable, and also because it's a pretty small (=faster) build.

OK thats bad. Now can you recompile the kernel with user debugging
enabled ? and reboot then it will dump lot more info on console on
error you need to turn on CONFIG_DEBUG_USER in .config

> I then looked at the helloworld executable, and a few interesting notes,
>
> - if I readelf -h helloworld, it reports "Version5 EABI" ... so I assume arm5te still?

thats EABI version it has nothing to do with ARM architecture versions

> - if I try to run helloworld using qemu-arm, it runs fine ... with no cpu selected (but I did some checking, and the default cpu for qemu-arm is the arm5te). If I try to run with a -cpu arm920t option I get the error message "qemu: uncaught target signal 4 (Illegal instruction) - core dumped"

OK good so it seems there is still some intructions generated which
are not supported in armv4t

> - I was not able to run this on the target right now, as I'm not near it ... but when I did before I either got a core dump (illegal instruction), or it said basically that the file was not found (depending on the executable I tried to run).

Yes it wont change I think.

> One more interesting fact - if I go inside TMPDIR, and then inside work/armv4t-oe-linux-gnueabi/gcc-cross-4.5-r28.0+svnr167948/gcc-4_5-branch/testsuite/gcc.target/arm, there is some sort of test file, with a filename of pr42235.c. Oddly enough the first line in this file says ... /* { dg-options "-mthumb -O2 -march=armv5te" }  */

thats just a gcc dejaGNU regression testcase it does not mean anything
for compiling the root file system

> Hopefully this all makes sense. I think this says that the executable is still targeting an armv5te ... but I could be wrong! Unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time I was off base, and certaintly it won't be the last ... :-(.
>

> Thanks for all your help!

as koen suggested try it with angstrom-2008 and see if that helps too.