[oe] Yocto Project and OE - Where now?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 08:16:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 08:47:42AM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2011/1/18 Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl>:
> > But in the end if boils down to "Does OE wants to make life hard for
> > DISTROs or easy". Frans is firmly in the "make it hard" camp, I hope
> > others have a saner point of view.
>
> I don't want to make it hard for the distro's but I feel the distro's
> should not make it hard for the package maintainers (which happens if
> every distro pins its favourite version of recipe foo).
> You're just pushing the burden of the distro choices onto the package
> maintainer.

I don't see any problem with active, well-maintained distro (like
Ångström is) pinning different versions. Everytime I see package
maintainer asking for pinned version change (like Eric does for
busybox), he receives Ack from distro maintainer with reasonable RTT,
or receives the reason why that distro needs this specific version for
longer and they can discuss if it will be moved to distro specific layer
or stays in core when it could be usefull for other distros as well.

Problem with pinned versions in OE I had only with stalled distro.confs
which weren't changed in years, nobody knows if there is someone still
building it etc.. But as Graeme said, those unmaintained distros won't
go to openembedded-core without someone actually moving them :).

Regards,
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com