[oe] Patching from a file containing a compressed directory (<directory>.tar.bz2)

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Jan 27 23:17:54 UTC 2011

2011-01-27 01:19, Koen Kooi skrev:

> On 26-01-11 22:32, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>      Trying to change the at91 linux recipes.
>>      The "experimental" patches to be added on top of the "maxim" patch
>>      can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.at91.com/ and that file
>>      is generated from a directory of patches, which should be applied
>>      in alphabetical order.
>>
>>      When the "obvious" SRC_URI  is used:
>>
>>      ftp://ftp.at91.com/<directory>.tar.bz2;apply=yes \
>>
>>       the files do not get applied in alphabetical order.
>>
>>      It looks to me like they get applied in reverse order,  but I did
>> not check carefully.
>>      I tried adding a "series" file, and recompress, but that failed as
>> well.
>>
>>      Any clue on how to get the patches applied in alphabetical order?
>>
>>      If the patches are in a subdirectory to the recipe, and applied
>> manually
>>      everything is OK, but that seems to be a shame to have to resort to
>> that.
> We don't want such behaviour, putting the patches in OE and adding them
> to SRC_URI is the only acceptable way to do this.

Well no, there is always an option to take the file,
"cat" all the files together to a single file,
which will result in the patches beeing applied in the correct order.

Less ugly than adding 94 patches and listing them in the recipe...

By "Manual", I mean:

do_apply_at91_exp_patch () {
     cd    ${S}
     for    f in `ls ../${PV}-at91-exp.4/*.patch` ; do
         cat $f    | patch -p1
     done
}

Why would that be a problem?

To me, maintaining this is much less work than maintaining a
SRC_URI statement.

Obviously, it would be better if the build system
had a defined order when applying patches from a file
containing multiple patches.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson