[oe] using i2c on a mx28evk

Andreas Mueller schnitzeltony at gmx.de
Thu Jul 14 22:25:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:29:47 PM Christian Borutta wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 06:46:45 PM Andreas Mueller wrote:
> > I checked the recipe i2c: In the file I2c.init this recipe wants to
> > modprobe i2c- pxa. Without having further background on this recipe it
> > seems that it is not meant for any board but pxa based ( can anybody
> > confirm ? )
> > Additional this packet wants to modprobe i2c-dev. This is not the
> > oe-devel- packet but a wrapper kernel-module for creating a device node
> > in /dev. I will later modify the kernel configuration so that i2c-dev is
> > created and see which modules are created...
> >
> >In file i2c-api.c you can find
> >
> >*   @file   i2c-api.c
> >*
> >*   @brief  This file contains the implementation for performing I2C
> >operations *           on the gumstix.
> >
> >that does not look generic...
> >
> >Anyway: I will create a patch so that the package kernel-module-i2c-dev is
> >created.
>
> I've tried your patch, but it didn't help. Maybe we need to set
> CONFIG_I2C_GPIO in the kernel configuration?
Did you install  kernel-module-i2c-dev? Do you have an i2c dev node then? How
about removing i2c-pxa form the i2c init script?

> >A bit off-topic: Would you like to test the oe-core version with the meta
> >layer found in https://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-freescale
> >?
>
> I would like to test your oe-core version with meta layer but I'm not shure
> how to do that.
Something like http://git.angstrom-distribution.org/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/meta-
angstrom/tree/README and http://sakrah.homelinux.org/blog/2011/03/using-
openembedded-core-to-build-angstrom-for-qemu/

o    git clone git://git.angstrom-distribution.org/setup-scripts
o    cd setup-scripts
o    git checkout origin/oe-core -b oe-core
o    add in sources/layers a line with
         openembedded-core,git://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-
freescale.git,master,HEAD
o    ./oebb.sh config mx28evk
o    ./oebb.sh update
o    check if the settings in conf/*.conf meat your directory preferences
o    check if you find ${TOPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-xfce \ in
bblayers.conf
o    bitbake console-image

Hope it helps

Andreas