[oe] Populating meta-oe with new patches on oe.dev

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 17 16:12:51 UTC 2011

Dear Khem,

Am Freitag, den 15.07.2011, 14:42 -0700 schrieb Khem Raj:

> As we all know that next release of OpenEmbedded is slated based on
> oe-core, I would like to request submitters and committers of
> the patches for oe.dev to port the patches to meta-oe or any other
> layer that is suitable for a given patch. Any new recipes
> being added to oe.dev should definitely go into the new layered structure

unfortunately as someone not having followed the creation of oe-core and
meta-oe, I fill somewhat lost. Is there a comprehensive document
somewhere as Russell also asked for?

Additionally I have the following observations.

1. Compared to former oe.dev activity looking at meta-oe there are only
a handful of people doing contributions and a lot of recipes are
missing. I have the feeling that a lot of developers where left out in
the process of creating the new infrastructure and I do not know if they
just develop their private branches based on oe.dev or if they use
meta-oe and I have not noticed this.

2. Looking at the weekly changelogs sent to the lists I see a lot of
duplicated commits in each layer. Why is that needed? Is not that a
design problem of the layers?

3. I find the `recipe-*section*/` directories difficult to handle to
finding a recipe. Before I would use `recipe/` and then tab completion
and now I have to search for it. Are others uncomfortable with this?

4. What images are available in/for oe-core/meta-openembedded? I liked
for example `minimal{,-uclibc}`? `find . -name minimal*` in `oe-core` or
`meta-oe` did not give any result. Not to mention the images for
BeagleBoard or `micro-image` for the recently sent patches for payload
creation for coreboot

> Please follow the commit guidelines for meta-oe/oe-core

… which can be found in the Wiki [1].

> and submit the appropriate pull requests so that when we cut out the
> next release we don't miss any of those patches.

Did anyone wrote any helper scripts for conversion of recipes/commits
from oe.dev to meta-oe?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://openembedded.org/index.php/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines