[oe] preferred version not available

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Jul 19 15:06:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Detlef Vollmann <dv at vollmann.ch> wrote:
> On 07/18/11 23:05, Chris Larson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Detlef Vollmann<dv at vollmann.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, I found the problem: PREFERRED_VERSION refers to PV inside
>>> the recipe, not to the part of the filename after '_'.
>>> As I tinker with PV inside the recipe, bitbake is actually correct
>>> that a PV 'githead' is not available for linux-taurus.
>>
>> All variables which are typically set by the filename can be
>> overridden. Those are simply defaults. See the definitions of PN, PV,
>> and PR in bitbake.conf.
>
> Yes, I knew that (I actually wrote the line changing the PV myself).
> What surprised me (though it makes sense) that PREFERRED_VERSION
> refers to PV, and not directly to a part of the filename.

I'm not sure why that would be surprising. PN, PV, and PR are what are
used. The fact that they default to being based on the filename is
just an artifact of how oe does things. You could quite easily change
that, and make it required to set them all in the recipe. Bitbake does
*not* care about the filename, other than in determining what bbappend
to apply to the recipe when an append exists.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com