[oe] Kernel boot problems

Bernard Mentink Bernard_Mentink at trimble.com
Thu Jul 28 02:20:04 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I have got a bit further with my efforts to boot linux on an imx31 based
platform using u-boot.

My console output is now:

uboot> bootm 80100000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80100000 ...
   Image Name:   Angstrom/2.6.36/mx31ads
   Created:      2011-07-28   2:03:27 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    1586172 Bytes = 1.5 MiB
   Load Address: 8f000000
   Entry Point:  8f000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

So it seems to be getting to the 1st part of the kernel boot process,
then hangs (I presume the last line comes from kernel code.)
I don't know if the kernel is hanging, or if I don't have any more
serial out ....
I am passing "console=ttymxc0,115200" to the kernel ..
Can someone confirm:
A) If I have the correct Entry point, or does this need to be offset
into the kernel? ..
B) Is the serial console parameters correct?
C) What is the correct way to set up the memory map? (my ram starts at
0x80000000, ends at 0x8fffffff)
D) Is there a way to debug initial kernel stuff with serial output?
In the above, I have decompressed the kernel to the top of the 256M ram,
but have only advertised 120M via the bootloader   ... for now, not
knowing what is correct and not wanting the kernel
to stomp all over itself running in ram.

Many Thanks,
Bernie