[oe] understanding overlays

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Thu Jul 28 05:48:43 UTC 2011

On 27.07.2011 18:12, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
>> I'm not really familiar with the oe/bitbake overlay details. So please forgive me if this is a faq. ;-)
>>
>> Is the overlay package or file based?
>>
>> Or in other words is the following scenario possible?
>>
>> base layer:
>>
>>  recipes/
>>    foo/
>>      foo.inc
>>      foo_x.y.z.bb
>>
>> overlay:
>>
>>  recipes/
>>    foo/
>>      foo.inc
>>
>> And than build foo-x.y.z with the foo.inc from the overlay.
>
> That depends. If the .bb does 'require foo.inc', then no, it will use
> the local one. If it does 'require recipes/foo/foo.inc', then yes, it
> will use the overlay one, assuming the overlay is before the main
> layer in your BBLAYERS.

Thx. What about files referenced e.g. in SRC_URI? I assume that always the ones from the 'highest' layer are used. Right?

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058