[oe] Kernel boot problems

Daniel Smith dpsmith at praxiseng.com
Thu Jul 28 15:47:28 UTC 2011

On 7/27/2011 10:20 PM, Bernard Mentink wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have got a bit further with my efforts to boot linux on an imx31 based
> platform using u-boot.
>
> My console output is now:

> uboot>  bootm 80100000
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80100000 ...
>     Image Name:   Angstrom/2.6.36/mx31ads
>     Created:      2011-07-28   2:03:27 UTC
>     Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>     Data Size:    1586172 Bytes = 1.5 MiB
>     Load Address: 8f000000
>     Entry Point:  8f000000
>     Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> So it seems to be getting to the 1st part of the kernel boot process,
> then hangs (I presume the last line comes from kernel code.)
> I don't know if the kernel is hanging, or if I don't have any more
> serial out ....
> I am passing "console=ttymxc0,115200" to the kernel ..
> Can someone confirm:
> A) If I have the correct Entry point, or does this need to be offset
> into the kernel? ..
> B) Is the serial console parameters correct?
> C) What is the correct way to set up the memory map? (my ram starts at
> 0x80000000, ends at 0x8fffffff)
> D) Is there a way to debug initial kernel stuff with serial output?
> In the above, I have decompressed the kernel to the top of the 256M ram,
> but have only advertised 120M via the bootloader   ... for now, not
> knowing what is correct and not wanting the kernel
> to stomp all over itself running in ram.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Bernie

For (A), I ran into a similar issue cns3xxx which has a similar core as
your imx31. You can see the thread here (http://goo.gl/HEOVK). Basically
go look in the Makefile.boot for your sub-arch and see what is set for
the zreladdr. If it is different than 0x20008000, then in your kernel
recipe you need to set the UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT and UBOOT_LOADADDRESS to
your zreladdr.

Hope that helps!

V/r,
Daniel P. Smith