[oe] Serial Console name for i.mx31

Bernard Mentink Bernard_Mentink at trimble.com
Sun Jul 31 21:49:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

Can anyone verify what the kernel command line option should be to use
the first imx31 uart? As far as I can tell it is
"console=ttymxc0,115200"

The reason I ask, is that I am seeing the kernel messages in the ram
kernel ring buffer, but not seing them come out the serial console.

I am porting linux to our own hardware which is similar to the LogicPD
LiteKit platform (I have compiled the kernel for this platform ..)

Debugging into the serial driver in ../drivers/serial/mx31  .. I see the
function init_serial_init() being called ( .. and it's printk message is
in the buffer)
but I am not seeing the serial_imx_probe() being called ..

I do not understand the the registering of platform drivers enough to
work out how the kernel connects the diver with the hardware .... Can
someone enlighten me
on how to debug this further ..... Or even better just tell me to use
the correct command line option and it all bursts into life  :-)

Thanks,
Bernie