[oe] bitbake says do_rootfs fails without even forking it

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Mon Jun 13 17:57:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm using a fairly old oe-dev tree from late 2010. I upgraded bitbake to
the 1.12 branch recently and haven't been able to build an image. This
is what bitbake reports:

DEBUG: Executing task do_rootfs
NOTE: package toastix-image-20.12-r0: task do_rootfs: Started
DEBUG: Zero size logfn
/home/michael/git/toastix/tmp/work/shogo2-oe-linux-gnueabi/toastix-image-20.12-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.28992,
removing
ERROR: Task 12
(/home/michael/git/toastix/public/recipes/images/toastix-image.bb,
do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1'

In strace, I can see a child process (or thread) is writing the
run.do_rootfs file; checking the size of the log file; deleting the log
file; sending an event back on a pipe; and calling exit_group(1).

It doesn't actually execute the run.do_rootfs file.

I can execute the rootfs script manually:

tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/bin/fakeroot -- bash -c \
	'. run.do_rootfs.17415 && do_rootfs'

and it fails, after a while, when rootfs_deb_do_rootfs tries to call
"log_check rootfs". log_check() is defined in image.bbclass, but somehow
it didn't make it into the run.do_rootfs script, even though the next
function up in image.bbclass, insert_feed_uris, was included.

Questions:
1. What's the mechanism by which log_check is supposed to be included in
the run.do_rootfs script?
2. Is anyone else using oe-dev with bitbake 1.12? It doesn't look like
much has changed in the image classes since late 2010, so whatever
problem I'm having, I'd think others could be having it, too.
3. How can I figure out why bitbake is not running the do_rootfs script?
Passing lots of -D flags didn't help.

Thanks,
Mike