[oe] udev 171 caching working propely?

Andreas Mueller schnitzeltony at gmx.de
Thu Jun 23 22:52:58 UTC 2011

On Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:58:53 PM Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 23-06-11 22:58, Andreas Mueller wrote:

> >> I've gone with this change and some quick testing on a board.
> >
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > thanks for taking care and sorry for late response - yesterday I had one
> > of these nightmares at the job...
> >
> > Now I tested the patch for two machines and sorry I am afraid to waste
> > your time again:
> >
> > First machine is overo with linux-omap-psp-2.6.32 and a hub connected to
> > the OTG connector. The kernel detects USB devices at a very early boot
> > state long before udev starts (see end of file 'overo' attached). udev
> > caching seems to work without errors.
> >
> > Second machine is tx28 with linux-2.6.38.5 (freescale imx28 based - I
> > will send patches when stable). This shows different behaviours on first
> > and all further boots (see udev-*boot attached). Problem is that after
> > second boot nothing connected to USB is detected / working. By deleting
> > /etc/udev/saved.* and rebooting all USB devices work fine and log looks
> > similar as first boot.
> >
> > Before I merged your patch I know the USB devices were working properly
> > on tx28. Don't misunderstand me: I think before your patch cache was
> > never read. Now you fixed this and it seems reading the cache does not
> > work (on my half cooked machine only?).
> >
> > I will have further investigations on this...
>
> With 171 you shouldn't need caching anymore, triggering has been sped up
> considerably, could you try disable caching and see how much it impacts
> your boot time?
Uncached feels slower. Populating all devices takes 5-10s. Is there a simple way
to create time stamps for boot messages? On the other hand: compressing and
uncompressing the device nodes also takes significant time on my machine.

I modified the udev init script in the way that additional messages are created
and error messages are not eaten up (see attachment). Log for cache disabled
shows that there are some things not working properly on my new machine

| Starting udev
| make_extra_nodes
| kill_udevd
| trigger the sorted events
| starting udevd again
| cannot open /dev/null
| udev0
| FATAL: Module platform:flexcan not found.
| insmod /lib/modules/2.6.38.5/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko

I'll take some time to follow this..

Andreas