[oe] Minutes: OpenEmbedded eV Board meeting, 20-Jun-2011

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Jun 24 09:09:21 UTC 2011

On 06/24/2011 09:37 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:53:11 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko<denis at denix.org>  wrote:
>> Minutes: OpenEmbedded eV Board meeting, 20-Jun-2011
>>
>> Agenda:
>> 06) call for donation
>> * OE needs an income stream - another call for donations in the mailing lists
>> * denix to check if TI can make another donation
>>    ** may be difficult, as TI and other companies are LF/Yocto members and pay
>> dues
>>    ** thus, latest LF donations to OE as a "feedback" channel make sense
>
> We (or more likely, the Board) should establish clearly how this OE
> income stream should work.
>
> Do we (the OE members) WANT to have the LF provide a well defined
> reasonable income stream to OE? Then RP or I can trigger that
> conversation with Jim Zemlin, Exec Director of the LF.
>
> Or do we PREFER to solicit independent donations to avoid the perception
> of being dependent on LF? In that case please talk to DaveS or me about
> an Intel donation to OE.

This is a very good question.

I would like to see the eV have a steady income from a diverse group of
people. At the same time, any income is helpful.

A reliable income stream allows the board to make long term plans. We
need to provide the nas-admin group at OSUOSL with better financial
support to cover our infrastructure needs as the project grows.

Basically, we have two sources of income, corporate sponsorship and
individual donations. As a board member, I would like to hear from the
membership what people think, both about how we should spend money and
how we should raise money.

Philip