[oe] gcc ICE (gcc 4.1.2, nios2), test program included

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Mar 3 21:44:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 19:48 +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've bumped onto an issue that I seem unable to resolv.
> With gcc 4.1.2, target nios2, I get an ICE when compiling dbus:
>
> [...]
>
> Anyone an idea on how to tackle this.

I'm not sure there's much to say about this really.  An ICE is, more or
less by definition, a compiler bug in gcc, and the version you're
testing with is quite old now (by normal standards if not in the Altera
world).  So your options would seem to be:

a) find a newer gcc and hope that it fixes the bug;

b) debug the failure for yourself (see the gcc manual and/or mailing
list for advice); or

c) persuade someone else, presumably one of the nios2 gcc maintainers,
to debug it.

p.