[oe] OE Bugzilla Future

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Mar 11 14:38:51 UTC 2011

On 03/11/2011 03:00 AM, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 08:19, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Comments? Volunteers?
>>
> Is there any newer bug tracking systems which should be considering?
>
> If we keep bugzilla then we are still running a system where people do
> everything twice. They email patches to OE mailing list for review and
> also have to file them into bugzilla. If we could somehow combine the
> two functions. Effectively integrate patchwork and bug tracker into one
> system. I have no idea if such a bug tracker exists.
>
> Also I might suggest we shift to launchpad or another hosted solution.
> That way we can lesson the load on the admin team.
>
> Im happy to step up and be a bug massager if we decide to run with a
> bugtracker, but I think we need to decide if that is the correct
> workflow for us first.

I'd like to see a place for users to report build failures and other
bugs in the meta-data. I do not think it should be for reporting distro
issues.

Patchwork is working well for tracking patches already, so we should not
encourage people to post patches to bugzilla.

Having clear policies for what kind of bugs we track and how they are
managed is critical. An example of a management task is assigning bugs
to individuals, some people may be OK with having a bug master assign
them bugs and others may not. Peoples wishes should be respected.

Philip