[oe] Triggering kgdb on linux-2.6.37 with ttyOx

Tarjei Knapstad tarjei.knapstad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 08:33:13 UTC 2011

In recent kernels the omap serial consoles have been renamed from
ttySx to ttyOx. This seems to be an issue for kgdb. Setting kernel
boot parameters has no effect:

kgdb=ttyO2,115200n8 kgdboc=ttyO2,115200n8 kgdbwait

and attempting to trigger kgdb from the console also fails:

# echo ttyO2 > /sys/module/kgdboc/parameters/kgdboc
-bash: echo: write error: No such device

Attempting to send 'g' to sysrequest also does nothing, not sure if
there has been changes to the magic sysrq stuff as well?
# echo g > /proc/sysrq-trigger
[  120.267944] SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reBoot Crash
terminate-all-tasks(E) memory-full-oom-kill(F) kill-all-tasks(I) t
haw-filesystems(J) saK show-memory-usage(M) nice-all-RT-tasks(N)
powerOff show-registers(P) show-all-timers(Q) unRaw Sync s
how-task-states(T) Unmount show-blocked-tasks(W)

I've had a look at the kgdb code, but I can't figure out what to patch
to make it understand that ttyO2 is a valid terminal. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tarjei