[oe] OE Bugzilla Future

Philippe De Swert philippedeswert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:02:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On 19 March 2011 10:28, Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me being the maintainer of a recipe says that one cares about a
> recipe and tries to maintain it (as the word says :-) )
> Maintainership comes with responsibilities. If people do not want to
> take these responsibilities then they should not list themselves as
> maintainer.

I agree with this. It is the same way how it works for packages in
distributions too. Of course
since the maintainers are volunteers we cannot expect them to fix it
within the shortest of delays
of course. But it would make sense for the maintainers to be the
default caretakers.

> I feel a good way would be to define the role of a maintaner.
> And eventually recipes fall apart into two groups. The ones with a
> maintainer and the ones without.

For the others we could just have one big pool where random people can
commit patches
for the bugs, or where new contributers can start picking work from.
Eventually even become
maintainers in the long run.

> I have seen too many incidents where someone does not care about a
> package or bugs submitted to it, but if someone else steps in and
> fixes things, then suddenly the original author or maintainer feels
> they are stepped onto their toes, and react hostile.

Maybe time for a NMU (non maintainer upload) procedure if it turns out
this is an issue?

> In my view if you volunteer to maintain a recipe, that carries some
> obligations and responsibilities.
> If you do not want them, fine, don't step up as maintainer.
> If you do, act according to them.

+1
As long as we can make clear we appreciate the contribution and we
don't make people feel
like their efforts are not important.

Cheers,

Philippe