[oe] x86_64

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Tue May 10 20:30:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 18:38 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> writes:
>
> > "x86_64" seems to be what's currently used as the architecture name.  If
> > you want a value for ${MACHINE} then I guess something like
> > "x86_64-generic" would do.  I don't think there's any prohibition
> > against underscores in machine names.
>
> OVERRIDES don't work correctly with this. E.g. (bitbake 1.10) a recipe
> with
>
> | xx = "default"
> | xx_x86_64 = "XX"
>
> results into
>
> | OVERRIDES="...:x86_64:..."
> | # xx_x86_64=XX
> | xx_x86_64="XX"
> | # xx=default
> | xx="default"

Yes, you're right.  But it seems as though _append overrides do work
(see my other mail to Bernhard Reutner-Fischer), and I don't think the
bitbake documentation notes that underscores are prohibited in
OVERRIDES.  So I think this is a bug in bitbake and should be fixed
there.

Changing the architecture to x86-64 would be a possibility, but clearly
there are already folks using x86_64 (since there are files in site/
with that naming, for example) so this seems like it would be best
avoided.  Also it would require a tmpdir version bump to take care of
BUILD_SYS for all the people who are cross compiling from x86_64, and
that also seems like something best avoided if possible.

p.