[oe] Where to host new layers

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Fri May 13 09:47:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 02:10 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
> meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
> layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.

I thought the idea was that meta-openembedded would remain distro- and
machine- neutral and that the BSP bits would live in separate repos.
Whether we want one repo per machine or some kind of shared repository
with a bunch of distros in is, I guess, something of an open question.

In the short term you could obviously host them on github or somewhere.
(I was originally planning to do that with meta-micro, but it turned out
to be fractionally more convenient to host it on my own git server so I
did that instead.)

In the longer term I don't think there's any reason we couldn't host
those kinds of distro layers on openembedded.org, either in separate
repositories or a single shared one.  I know there was some board
discussion a few months ago about whether or not oe.org should be in the
business of hosting third party BSPs but I'm not quite sure what the
outcome of that was.

p.