[oe] Where to host new layers

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Fri May 13 16:58:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:47:10AM +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 02:10 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > I have created couple of layers namely meta-slugos (distro layer) and
> > meta-nslu ( machine layer). I was  looking for place to host those
> > layers. Would they be good under meta-openembedded ? I dont think
> > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
> > has git infrastructure otherwise that would be one place to put it.
>
> In the longer term I don't think there's any reason we couldn't host
> those kinds of distro layers on openembedded.org, either in separate
> repositories or a single shared one.  I know there was some board
> discussion a few months ago about whether or not oe.org should be in the
> business of hosting third party BSPs but I'm not quite sure what the
> outcome of that was.

The outcome for the short term was to allow community-developed layers on
openembedded.org (where slugos/nslu should fall into that category, AFAICS)
and not yet the commercial layers/BSPs from manufacturers (those should be
directed to Yocto or asked to provide own hosting).

One of the reasons named was infrastructure limitations on openembedded.org as
of now. There were several possible solutions to hosting limitations discussed
few weeks ago by the board and involved parties...

--
Denys