[oe] OpenEmbedded Core - Ready for extended users

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon May 16 11:26:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

The TSC has been tasked with working out how OE and Yocto could work
together and people have no doubt seen the discussions about OE-Core.

We're now pleased to formally announce that we feel OE-Core is ready for
exposure to more users and we'd like to encourage people to have a look
at it and experiment and develop with it.

Just to recap on the background for this, splitting up OE into
components has been a topic of discussion for a long time, certainly at
every OEDEM. Until now this hasn't happened partly due to resource
issues but also lack of tooling and the lack of a well thought out plan.
We now feel these issues have been addressed and that we have a good
plan in place. The promotion and use of layers is the only real way OE
can scale as a project yet stay maintainable and testable.

Things that aren't part of oe-core fall to the meta-oe layer which is
where we intend the current wider support contained in oe-devel to be
maintained. The people working on meta-oe so far would love to see more
contributions. Both repositories are currently working on a "pull" model
and people using them so far have felt a benefit to this for code
quality.

Discussion and development on oe-core is happening on the
openembedded-core mailing list since otherwise it would be hard to
filter out which patches and discussion were for which repository. We
look forward to seeing more people getting involved there!