[oe] kbd and console-tools collision when using systemd

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Wed May 25 06:00:45 UTC 2011

We have recently switched our local distro to use systemd for the init-process. This works fine for our HW-target (apart from some non-optimal configuration, but that is something we're looking into). Our HW-target is based on the at91sam9g20.

However, sometime later, we tried to rebuild our distro for qemuarm, to ease the work on some of the systemd configuration. Qemuarm (just as any other Qemu-target) adds keyboard to the machine-features, and task-boot.bb translates this into the inclusion of the keymaps package, which in turns draws in console-tools. This is where we are getting problems.

Local distro uses task-boot.bb
Qemu -> keymps -> RDEPENDS console-tools
Systemd -> RRECOMMENDS kbd

This leads to lots of clashes with e.g. usr/bin/dumpkeys, usr/bin/unicode_stop etc.
Currently we have solved this by using a local copy of task-boot.bb in one of our layers, which lets the machine feature keyboard include kbd-keymaps instead of keymaps.

Is there some better/simpler way (maintainence wise) to solve the problem? Or is the local task-boot.bb the best way to handle it? (It's always better to try to reduce the amount of local copies, to be able to benefit from the community, and to easier contribute back).

Is there some way we could make such a change using e.g. a .bbappend?

Regards,
Anders

--
Anders Darander