[oe] RFC Creation of a meta-telephony repository

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Nov 10 21:01:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 09:25:24PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:

> >> Why not use github/gitorious/etc for it?
> >
> > Do you have a hidden anti-OpenEmbedded agenda here? ;-)
> >
> > Seriously though, why is it better than oe.org hosting?
>
> It has less constraints. You should know, since you were the one telling me
> that oe.org is resource constrained and we can't host too many layers.
>
> I haven't seen enough reason to place the burden for this layer on the OE
> admin team instead of doing 'self' hosting on gitorious/github/etc/

Well, first of all, when we had constrained resources at oe.org, we were
trying to limit the number of commercial layers, assuming that the company
behind such layer is well capable of providing hosting for their product.
That would mean BSP layers from semis, like Intel, TI, Freescale etc. or
commercial distro layers from OSVs, such as Mentor, Montavista etc.
We always welcomed community layers on oe.org, even BSP layers for platforms
that had no official commercial support, but also distro, apps and other
layers, as long as they had "supported by community" status.

And second, since now we have new servers graciously donated by The Linux
Foundation, we should not object to new community layers hosted on oe.org.
I'd let our admins comment on the burden, though.

--
Denys