[oe] Using Multiple images for different partitions

Anand Sivaram aspnair at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:12:52 UTC 2011

Dear All,

This question is about creating multiple images/tasks for one specific
requirement.  I just want to know how this could be done in OE.

I have a few custom applications/libraries to be installed in a separate
partition and they need to be separate from the normal rootfs.  The
dependency is like the following

          custom_app1                      custom_app2
          |        |                       |         |
          v        v                       v         v
      custom_lib1 custom_lib2         custom_lib4 custom_lib2
          |                                |
          v                                v
      custom_lib3                     custom_lib5

I do have a recipe from each of the custom_app and custom_lib above and
they all compile very well.  If I package them under a single image
(image1), then everything is fine.

Now I have to split the images for different partitions
image1: Normal OE rootfs except the above apps/libraries,
        but all their other dependencies including libc etc.
        (for partition1)
image2: Squashfs filesystem with the above
        custom_app[1-2] and custom_libs[1-5], but nothing else.
        (for parititon2)

There is no problem in running bitbake two times to create these two
images.  It is also fine to get a tar.gz instead of squashfs filesystem.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks and Regards

Anand

--