[oe] GCC Error

David Thomas david.thomas at microbee-systems.com
Tue Nov 15 00:11:00 UTC 2011

Well not everyone works this day in and day out now do they? Show me where it states you have to use gcc.4.6 and for that matter, I specifically choose a LTS platform to avoid having to play latest and greatest.

So I ask, what is gained by forcing the user to have to use the absolute latest version?

In addition, it is not necessarily clear to a OE newby how all this is pieced together? It is a hackers paradise, I am not a hacker, I have a schedule to meet.
Perhaps

In any event, it is moot, were dumping the cm-t35 and using a beagleboard for product demonstration as it is a dead end.

"The toolchain problems wouldn't have been there if people had used an existing, working distro like angstrom, the kernel issues mentioned above are all handled automagically by linux.inc."

Really?

On Nov 14, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 04:23:30PM -0600, David Thomas wrote:
>> OK, so I fight a install of gcc-4.6 onto ubuntu lts and same error. I
>> first tried for weeks to get Compulab CM-T35 stuff to work per their
>> instructions. Then I get the scripts and all seems well, now this. I
>> have spent a month on trying to build a cm-t35 so I can then add in
>> additional functionality. At ever turn it fails.  4 weeks and nothing.
>>
>> I mean, how hard can this be?
>
> How hard is to find out that
> meta-smartphone/meta-palm/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-hpveer_git.bb
> probably is not best kernel for CM-T35 as the hpveer in name suggests?
>
> And how hard is to open that recipe and read:
> # Workaround default -Werror setting and some warnings in kernel compilation
> TARGET_CC_KERNEL_ARCH += " -Wno-error=unused-but-set-variable -Wno-error=array-bounds"
>
> which is needed for newer gcc to not fail with -Wall -Werror.
>
> Regards,
>

>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:59 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882
>> <B29882 at freescale.com> wrote:

>>> This error is on by default for the compiler for OE now. You can get
>>> around it by
>>>
>>> 1) Fixing the (potential) errors in the source code
>>> 2) Turning off the error in the build (EXTRA_CFLAGS =