[oe] GCC Error

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 02:42:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM, David Thomas
<david.thomas at microbee-systems.com> wrote:
> Well not everyone works this day in and day out now do they? Show me where it states you have to use gcc.4.6 and for that matter, I specifically choose a LTS platform to avoid having to play latest and greatest.

you are confusing cross-gcc with gcc on your build host here. The
issue is that the recipe assumes that it will be compiled with minimum
gcc version 4.6 which is a wrong assumption since angstrom stable is
still using gcc 4.5

> So I ask, what is gained by forcing the user to have to use the absolute latest version?
>
> In addition, it is not necessarily clear to a OE newby how all this is pieced together? It is a hackers paradise, I am not a hacker, I have a schedule to meet.
> Perhaps
>
> In any event, it is moot, were dumping the cm-t35 and using a beagleboard for product demonstration as it is a dead end.

you should follow angstrom's getting started directions here
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/building-angstrom

and

http://sakrah.homelinux.org/blog/2011/03/using-openembedded-core-to-build-angstrom-for-qemu/

is basically an explanation of how the above instructions are used for
oe-core based angstrom.

> "The toolchain problems wouldn't have been there if people had used an existing, working distro like angstrom, the kernel issues mentioned above are all handled automagically by linux.inc."
>
> Really?
>
> On Nov 14, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Martin Jansa wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 04:23:30PM -0600, David Thomas wrote:
>>> OK, so I fight a install of gcc-4.6 onto ubuntu lts and same error. I
>>> first tried for weeks to get Compulab CM-T35 stuff to work per their
>>> instructions. Then I get the scripts and all seems well, now this. I
>>> have spent a month on trying to build a cm-t35 so I can then add in
>>> additional functionality. At ever turn it fails.  4 weeks and nothing.
>>>
>>> I mean, how hard can this be?
>>
>> How hard is to find out that
>> meta-smartphone/meta-palm/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-hpveer_git.bb
>> probably is not best kernel for CM-T35 as the hpveer in name suggests?
>>
>> And how hard is to open that recipe and read:
>> # Workaround default -Werror setting and some warnings in kernel compilation
>> TARGET_CC_KERNEL_ARCH += " -Wno-error=unused-but-set-variable -Wno-error=array-bounds"
>>
>> which is needed for newer gcc to not fail with -Wall -Werror.
>>
>> Regards,

>>> --
>>> Dave Thomas
>>> MicroBee Systems, Inc