[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Thu Nov 24 11:43:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 09:33, Paul Menzel <
paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2011, 09:12 -0200 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
> > On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:23, Hauser, Wolfgang (external) wrote:
> >
> > > I would vote for an open classic master for bugfixing too, our project
> > > based on 2011.03-maintenance goes into the final phase and to switch to
> > > oe-core, the budged is not available jet.
> >
> > I also believe oe-classic master ought to be read-only as soon as
> possible;
> > I understand that people are using it but the soonner we make it
> read-only,
> > sooner people will move to oe-core otherwise people will keep starting
> new
> > project on it and it will never die.
>
> You seem to use OE-core and meta-oe already so I understand your point
> of view. Martin, Koen, Andreas and you are doing the major work for
> meta-oe and not a lot of other people contribute.
>
> In my opinion it is a bad sign to force people to switch. OE-core and
> meta-oe should be so appealing that they switch by themselves. My
> impression from reading the list and from IRC is that a lot of people
> still have objections and are not totally comfortable. Good community
> management would be to listen to these people then try to find solutions
> and implement them. People then should come by themselves.

In fact I use both. The projects running at oe-classic are working well and
will be kept running that way but all new ones are based on oe-core +
meta-oe.

I am not against oe-classic maintainence branch and people contributting
new fixes but I am against the work on new features and recipes being put
on master branch.

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br