[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Andreas Oberritter obi at opendreambox.org
Fri Nov 25 13:17:22 UTC 2011

On 24.11.2011 19:43, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 15:41, Andreas Oberritter <obi at opendreambox.org>wrote:

>> I would like stronger arguments for why master and not 2011.03 release
>>> branch ?
>>
>> Obviously, you can push a changeset to master, wait for someone to
>> complain about a bug, fix the bug, wait for silence, merge it into 2011.03.
>>

> Sure not; 2011.03 is for bugfixes not huge changesets with new things.

Who said "huge" or "new"? Even bugfixes need testing. That's why
changesets should go
through master after all.

>> Would you prefer experimental changesets in 2011.03?
>>

> This is not going to happen  has 2011.03 is not a playground but a stable
>  branch.

Exactly. That's what master is good for. Everything that hasn't been
tested in many environments is experimental by nature. You simply can't
commit anything to 2011.03 directly, for it would be experimental. It
has to be tested somewhere. That's master. (Yes, Koen, we know, OE-core
is an option, but not for some of us.)

> You're confusing development and maintainence branch meaning here.

Obviously not.

Regards,
Andreas