[oe] Documentation problems

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 16:58:00 UTC 2011

What is the problem with being it a wiki (probably with authorized users to
avoid spam).

I'd say let everyone who wants to contribute.
If someone makes a mistake it can easily be corrected and/or reverted, and
if someone messes things up on purpose and/or creates more bad than good
such a (non)contributor can be banned.

Disadvantage of a pull model is:
- more difficult to make changes (e.g. if I see a typo in a wiki and I have
write permission, I'll fix it; however if it invokes checking out a file,
make the edit, commit it, mail a pull request, most likely I'll decide it
is not worth the effort
- more administrative workload (that is probably better spent on actually
doing things).
- It sends out a message of distrust. Not really a good way to create
involvement.

One might feel that it improves quality; then again also in a wiki one can
review and improve (or revert) changes.

As far as I see it we are all adults (at least I think so) all interested
in improving OE so no unnecessary barriers should be raised.

Frans.

PS: it is quite possible to backup a wiki (and I hope this is done at
regular intervals with our wiki). Also all edits are recorded so they can
always be tracked back and (if needed) undone.