[oe] Plans for OE classic future

Tom Rini tom.rini at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:15:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
<fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/11/26 Tom Rini <tom.rini at gmail.com>
>
>> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks
>>

>> > Well, there is at least the issue of machines and architectures.
>> > Now it is probably not too big a deal to bring over a new machine and
>> turn
>> > it into a BSP layers, but adding another architecture is yet another
>> thing.
>> >
>> > We do have products that are based upon NIOS II. This architecture is
>> > present in OE classic and not in OE core.
>> > One of the issues is that the NIOS II toolchain is still based upon
>> (iirc)
>> > gcc 4.1.1
>> > I do not see an upgrade of gcc/niosii happen in the near future (In the
>> > past I did spent some time to see if I could move to a newer version, but
>> > there were some issues, and afaik no one is working on this atm), and I
>> > doubt oe-core is interested in having a 4.1.1 toolchain around.
>>
>> An external toolchain should be fine.  You should also be able to put
>> that gcc & company into meta-niosii.  If you can't, then IMHO, there's
>> a problem someone needs to look at.  But I suspect there isn't a
>> problem doing that.
>>

> In oe-classic it is not an external toolchain. It is also a CPU
> architecture.

Right.  I'm saying that on the path to migration using OE classic to
export a NIOS II toolchain as an external toolchain and having
meta-niosii start by using that would save some headache.   Get the
basics building and working then bring in the toolchain.

> It mgiht be possible to make an external toolchain for it, but that does
> not allow
> saying things in recipes like: FILES_niosii += in other recipes (iirc there
> are a few of these)
>
> Moving the recipes to meta-niosii could also be done, and is probably
> better as the toolchain is a set of OE recipes. I'm not sure if it is
> possible to solve the ARCH problem that way, but one might get away with it
> by e.g. bbappend-ing in all relevant recipes. This seems a fair amount of
> work, so I guess this is not going to happen overnight.

Yes, meta-niosii would have some bbappend files and a copy of a few
bbclass files until those parts ARCH parts can be merged.

[snip]
> I feel that if meta-oe is considered an openembedded layer, its guidelines
> should be made clear.

Agreed.

--
Tom