[oe] Documentation problems

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Wed Nov 30 17:32:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Rainer Koenig
<Rainer.Koenig at ts.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Seriously guys, if you are a developer and you are able to understand the
> structure in OE and what bitbake does, then you should be able to understand
> the Wikimedia engine as well. And if you want to avoid a web-editor then
> copy/paste the stuff to your favorite editor and do it there. Complaining
> about the tool you need to use sounds like a lame excuse for an software
> engineer.
>
> Of course, the Wikimedia engine offers advanced methods like categories to
> tag stuff but even that can be learned in short time. So I really doubt that
> the reason for not documenting is the Mediawiki engine.
>
> The other problem that I see when trying to contribute: This morning I
> registered my account "rakoenig". Now, 7 hours later I'm still not able to
> edit anything and I have no idea how the process looks like to get write
> privileges. On the other hand, when I was doing the same in the Yocto wiki I
> was instantly able to write pages there.

Just a small rant here.

I won't use the Wiki because I don't know what is out of date or not.
We need documentation in the git repo it's documenting. That way we
know the documentation was valid when it was committed and we can
verify such things.

The wiki/webpage should just reference stuff in the GIT repo.

-M