[oe] [meta-oe] do_rootfs fails with networkmanager (was network-manager-applet) included

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 19:41:55 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 10, 2011 12:19:53 PM Koen Kooi wrote:
> Op 25-09-11 15:06, Andreas Müller schreef:
> > On Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:37:30 PM Andreas Müller wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> For my xfce-image ( lives in meta-angstrom/recipes-angstrom/images )  I
> >> want to make use of network-manager-applet which came in meta oe few
> >> days ago.
> >>
> >> It seems that as soon as I add network-manager-applet do_rootfs fails
> >> with something like:
> >>

> >> | Configuring openssh-sftp. | Configuring xf86-input-evdev. |
> >> Configuring cpufrequtils. | Configuring systemd-compat-units. |
> >> Configuring gvfsd-ftp. | Collected errors: |  * extract_archive: Cannot
> >> create symlink from ./var/run to 'volatile/run': File exists. | + '['
> >> '!' -z '' ']' | + package_tryout_install_multilib_ipk | +
> >> multilib_tryout_dirs= | + '[' '!' -z
> >> /home/Superandy/tmp/oe-core-eglibc/work/overo-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xfce-base-image-1.0-r0/multilib_check.py
> >> ']' | | ERROR: Function 'do_rootfs' failed (see
> >> /home/Superandy/tmp/oe-core-eglibc/work/overo-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/xfce-base-image-1.0-r0/temp/log.do_rootfs.28313
> >> for further information) NOTE: package xfce-base-image-1.0-r0: task
> >> do_rootfs: Failed ERROR: Task 8
> >> (/home/Superandy/data/oe-core/sources/meta-angstrom/recipes-angstrom/images/xfce-base-image.bb,
> >> do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1' ERROR:
> >> '/home/Superandy/data/oe-core/sources/meta-angstrom/recipes-angstrom/images/xfce-base-image.bb'
> >> failed
> >>
> > Looked around a bit for this issue. As soon as there is networkmanager
> > included, do_rootfs fails with with something like
> >
> > | Collected errors: |  * extract_archive: Cannot create symlink from
> > ./var/run to 'volatile/run': File exists.
> >
> > In 'image'-folder of networkmanager I find a folder
> > 'var/run/NetworkManager'. At do_rootfs this folder has moved to
> > '/var/volatile/run/NetworkManager' ( see
> >
> >  Seems as do_rootfs tries to setup a link 'var/run' where still a
> > (remaining) folder is present - or the transition from var/run ->
> > var/volatile/run is somehow incomplete.
> >
> > Any ideas how - or especially where to fix ( not only for networkmanager
> > I guess ). Maybe this is an oe-core issue but there no networkmanager is
> > available...
>
> I've finally managed to reproduce this! I vaguely recall you finding out
> some more details, could you please give a summary of your finding?
>
> regards,
>
> koen

Hi Koen,

In historical order trying not to cause confusion this time :-)

1. I found a conflict between OE-Core creating /var/run-symlink by  'package.bbclass' together with 'meta/files/fs-perms.txt' on the one side and angstrom 'base-files_3.0.14.bbappend' trying to create /var/run-directory on the other side. I sent a patch [1] which fixed the issue. Unfortunately I was a bit over-enthusiastic and sent the patch together with [2] in a series.
2. On the first run, I recognized, that the second part of the series caused missing directories and wrote that in [3]. Here I meant to skip only the  _second_ part of the series.
3. You committed a workaround for /var/run issue [4].
4. I asked if this is neccessary in [5]. Your comment in the source ('we do not want that') made me think it is mandatory to have /var/run as dir and I hoped to learn the reason.
5. The broken do_rootfs still scared me in [6].
6. After none of the mails were responded, few days ago I decided to give your workaround a try, reverted my patch and - surprise - did not get an error on do_rootfs! So I thought I missed some magic and decided not to cause further noise on that.

[1] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angstrom-distro-devel/2011-September/005096.html
[2] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angstrom-distro-devel/2011-September/005097.html
[3] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angstrom-distro-devel/2011-September/005098.html
[4] http://git.angstrom-distribution.org/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/meta-angstrom/commit/?id=018290161de5c0e99df7c972d1f749c3c52dd73e