[oe] Building multiple u-boot binaries in oe-core?

McClintock Matthew-B29882 B29882 at freescale.com
Tue Oct 18 21:01:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

> Op 18-10-11 10:13, Ulf Samuelsson schreef:
>> I added the functionality for building multiple u-boot binaries to
>> classic openembedded, but this has not been implemented in oe-core. I
>> find that rather useful. Anyone disagreeing?

I find this very useful and will need to do something similar soon if
you don't get to it first ;) I've already internally used some of your
old stuff I believe.

>> The core of this is:
>>
>> do_compile () { if ! [ "x${UBOOT_MACHINES}" == "x" ] ; then for board in
>> ${UBOOT_MACHINES} ; do if ! [ `grep ${board}_config Makefile | wc -c` ==
>> 0 ] ; then mkdir -p binaries/${board} oe_runmake O=binaries/${board}
>> distclean oe_runmake O=binaries/${board} ${board}_config oe_runmake
>> O=binaries/${board} all fi done else oe_runmake ${UBOOT_MACHINE}
>> oe_runmake all fi }

For us UBOOT_MACHINES = "P4008DS P4080DS_SPIFLASH P4080DS_SDCARD P4080DS_NAND"

Sometimes u-boot has different final output images, so maybe having
the machine.conf files do something like

UBOOT_OUTPUT["P4080DS_NAND"] = u-boot-nand.bin

So we can automagically have this work in the u-boot recipe.

>> Note that I removed the _config part from UBOOT_MACHINES.

I think upstream u-boot does not require this anymore.

>> At the moment, the binary after youv'e done "make beagleboard_config;
>> make" will be called: u-boot-beagleboard_config-${PV}-${PR}.bin
>>
>> I think "u-boot-beagleboard-${PV}-${PR}.bin" is nicer.

I agree.

>> There aren't that many boards in oe-core at the moment.
>
> 4 qemu machine to be exact
>
>> Isn't this a good time to get rid of UBOOT_MACHINE altogher and/or
>> redefine it without the "_config"

Seems fine either way to me, but I tend to think UBOOT_MACHINE could go away.

> Not sure, there are a *lot* of BSPs out there where _config is expected to
> be there.

Are these using an old u-boot?

-M