[oe] DEPLOY_DIR and package_stagefile_shell

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Oct 20 20:55:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 05:39:45PM -0400, George C. Huntington, III wrote:
> It appears that if you override DEPLOY_DIR to make the DEPLOY directory
> outside of TMPDIR, then recipes that call package_stagefile_shell fail. the
> sed magic in package_stagefile_shell assumes that the path will be in
> TMPDIR.  Should the package_stagefile_shell be fixed, or should the recipes
> that call it with ${DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE} be changed.  the u-boot.inc and the
> linux.inc have this problem.

Well, it's an old issue - I first faced it over 3 years ago[1]. I had it
"fixed" or worked around, by modifying the sed magic. Then it got broken again
and there wasn't any good fixes available since then. That's the way packaged
staging works, as pstage had to be relative to deploy dir, which both reside
in TMPDIR by default.

At one point I even disabled packaged staging in Arago in order to allow
re-defining DEPLOY_DIR, but later on it got mandated and I just gave in to not
being able to move DEPLOY_DIR outside of TMPDIR. :)

Either way it's a moot point now with oe-core and shared state...

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/19300

--
Denys