[oe] Adding sumtool to a JFFS2 build to speed up first boot

Tom Rini tom.rini at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:14:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Ulf Samuelsson
<ulf_samuelsson at telia.com> wrote:
> Trying to solve another problem I came up with
> changing IMAGE_CMD_jffs2 defined in conf/bitbake.conf
> by redefining it in conf/local.conf.
>
> During that process I noticed the "sumtool" utility
> which works on the jffs2 image, doing some
> bookkeeping which then does not have to be
> done on the target.
>
> I unserstand, this can speed up loading significantly.
> Any reason not using this in OE?

Last time I looked at this, the reason was that you had to re-jigger
the IMAGE_CMD a bit and you also have to take care as not all of the
options are the same between mkfs.jffs2 and sumtool.  At least the
first part might be easier with oe-core and the reworked image class.
The latter part is just annoying.

--
Tom