[oe] `PR = "r0"`: Add or not to add?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:06:48 UTC 2011

>>> Message_Guidelines<http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines>
>>> http://wiki.openembedded.org/**index.php/Commit_Policy<http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Commit_Policy>
>>> http://wiki.openembedded.org/**index.php/Commit_log_example<http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Commit_log_example>
>>> http://wiki.openembedded.org/**index.php/Styleguide<http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Styleguide>
>>> http://wiki.openembedded.org/**index.php/Versioning_Policy<http://wiki.openembedded.org/index.php/Versioning_Policy>
>>>
>>> And none of those say PR = r0 is wanted behaviour. OTOH it doesn't say
>>> it's
>>> unwanted either.
>>>

>> So until it is explicit we might keep PR = r0 as it seems most people
>> prefer this way.
>>

> As long as we are all chiming in, I would like to see all of us decide once
> and for all what to do.
>
> I also prefer the explicitly setting PR = "r0". Can we work out the
> troublesome cases and see if we can get them fixed? Also, what is the
> oe-core view on this?
>
> Let's work out what the technical answer is and go from there

Good plan.

BTW not sure if it is feasible but ideally a 2nd assingment to a var should
give an error (or at least a warning). This avoids that e.g. a recipe and a
.inc file set the var (or that a var is set twice within the same recipe, in
the past I have seen this). If a variable is intended to be reassigned, weak
binding should be used. ( ?= or so).

Frans