[oe] Open Embedded and Gumstix

Detlef Vollmann dv at vollmann.ch
Mon Sep 5 15:26:46 UTC 2011

On 09/05/11 16:39, Aeschbacher, Fabrice wrote:
> We do this kind of thing by using 'packaged-staging':
>
> - compile the toolchain once on one computer (e.g. 'bitbake meta-toolchain')
> - copy the resulting staging dir ( ${PSTAGE_DIR} )
>   somewhere ( e.g. http://server/pstage )
> - Set PSTAGE_MIRROR in your local.conf (e.g. PSTAGE_MIRROR = http://server/pstage/ )
>
> When then  building on another computer, pre-built packages will be fetched from PSTAGE_MIRROR and not rebuilt. This will drastically speed up build times.
Be aware though that if those machines are not identical
(32/64-bit, different Ubuntu versions, different library versions),
this might break silently.
So it's safer to pre-build and save your packages once for each
machine separately.
But then this will only speed up subsequent builds on the same machine.

   Detlef