[oe] bitbaking aufs

Vitus Jensen vjensen at gmx.de
Wed Sep 7 04:45:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Vitus Jensen wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:02:05 +0200 Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 00:11:39 Vitus Jensen wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to use a layered filesystem in our ppc603e-based machine:
>>> the rootfs built from openembedded would be read-only, any
>>> customizations go to a writable filesystem and should the need
>>> occur to start fresh all I
>>> need is a mechanism to remove the contents of the writable filesystem.
>>>
>>> In openembedded (2011.03) there is unionfs and aufs
>>> (http://aufs.sourceforge.net/), aufs is more actively developed so
>>> I would like to use that.

>> In my opinion a standalone aufs recipe is not possible, because the
>> kernel needs to be patched and you have to use the specific branch
>> for your kernel version.
>
> In this case (and in the meantime I came to the same conclusion) it is
> easiest to use the already patched kernel tree from aufs.sourceforge,
> create a linux-aufs_2.6.36.bb and use that for my device.  Or have a
> second look to union-mount (http://valerieaurora.org/union/) and build a
> recipe for that tree.

FYI:

Built a linux-unionmount 2.6.35 kernel recipe plus
initramfs-module-unionmount and installed that.  I did encounter problems
to mount the upper-half (filesystems ext2 and jffs2 weren't accepted) and
when googling for help I found that the race for kernel tree acceptance is
still open: it might be overlayfs and not union-mount.  Let's wait some
years and see :-(

As I need a working solution now and aufs2 is actively developed
(ready-to-be-made kernel trees up to 3.0.0) I will now create a
linux-aufs2 bb.

Bye,
    Vitus

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Universe (current)
pgp public key available from keyservers