[oe] Some issues with compiling xbmc

Mikhail Boiko mikhailboiko85 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:44:06 UTC 2011

Hi

Had some issues with compiling xbmc for "babbage" machine and I managed to
solve them, but in a very, very strange way.
When compiling xbmc, i had error because build system was trying to link
libraries from my host system. Typical error message looked like this:
>>> /usr/lib/libz.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
That was pretty odd, because when I built xbmc for beagleboard, I had no
such errors. I traced that libtool try to link packages from my host system,
if in apropriate *.la file, "installed" parametr set to "yes". When I
changed value for "installed" from "yes" to "no", this probles disappeared.
It was done for libz.la and libexpat.la, the only libraries I had problem
with.
But what is strange to me, when I compiled angstrom 2008 for beagleboard,
value of "installed" parametr in libz.la and libexpat.la files were set to
"no" by default. So, for different distro versions, libtool generete *.la
files with different meanings. Don't know who to blame, angstrom or oe.
Also, this issue can be solved by removing zlib-dev and libexpat-dev
packages from my host machine (thanks to guys from irc),

I'm not sure that it is critical issue, but al least, people should be
warned about it.

Thanks